Wednesday, December 29, 2010

This House was built with L.O.V.E

From Memento:

"What was the house you grew up in like? How would you describe it? Was there a place in it that was special to you?"

Coming from a divorced home, I have many memories of several houses. My first home as a baby... I don't recall much.  I know my parents were still married, the curtains were horrible, and my parents got a divorce.  The memories I have, I only made because they were recored in video or my mom shared stories with me. I have pictures of me sleeping in a tent on top of my bed every night.  My mom told me how happy it made me, and was a simple pleasure. 

The next house I lived in until I was 7 or 8.  I have numerous memories of Frasier. I can still remember the next door neighbor kids... and the layout of the house vividly.  The backyard was HUGE and my sister and I shared a room down in the basement.  It was cool in the hot summers, and freezing in the winters. I have the most amazing birthday parties and battles with my siblings. I loved that house. Not because of the actual house, but it was the last time my brother and sister lived with us. 

My dad had adventourous homes.  I loved them because I didn't live there every day.  He let me ride the lawnmower for fun, built me a tire swing in an old tree, and lay on the roof to watch the clouds.  Not too sure if he was ever really supervising me. I would like to think so. I also remember getting to watch for foxes at night with him. I loved it. I had a secret room at his house on Willow Street. It was my craft room. Not any bigger than a closet. He even let my little brother and I draw on the walls. I would give anything to walk through that house right now... Just so I could remember him.....

With my mom... We lived in 7 houses from the time I was 1 to 18 years of age and moved from Colorado to Texas.  My favorite Texas home would be the one on Dogwood. Maybe it was because I was older and the memories were easier to keep. I know my room was exactly how I wanted it and I had the whole top floor to myself. No siblings to share it with, since they stayed in Colorado. When I would go to back to CO for the summers to visit my dad, she would always redo my room. What great memories! I would love coming home to my room being completely transformed.

Now as a Military Family... we keep moving. I really don't know what I'll do when someday we settle down and make ALL our memories in one house. That will truly be a blessing! I think I am at house number 17 at the age of 26. (Not including all the ones I lived in with my dad)





No comments: