Monday, February 2, 2015

Out with the old... In with the Tiny!


Clutter = Depression

I actually read an article stating clutter could be triggering depression. I feel like I have said that so many times. “The house is a mess and it’s making me feel blue!” Then when you try to clean and get NO WHERE… Thank you 3 sweet babies… You feel even worse.

You know that saying “You have to take the bull by its horns?”

Side note: I am horrible at quoting sayings. I do it all the time but 95% of the time I say them wrong. While watching The Bachelor last night I said “Wow, she is a cloud 9 clinger!” Oh my goodness…. My husband laughed so hard. Truthfully, I actually thought it was “You have to take the bull by the balls,” but didn’t think that sounded right or appropriate so I googled it. Ha! Ok..... Moving on from my NOT so blonde moment.

So here I am… About to move again. I think this will be the 4th time in 4 years. Sixth time in 7 years…. About to be NINE times in our 7 years of marriage!!! Whoa!!!!

I have a lot of crap.

I love to craft. I can’t just have 1 stamp pad though. I have to have 20. It’s a vicious cycle. And it adds up.

This isn’t a new year’s resolution. (Can I even still make one?) This is real life. I need and want to do this for my family. I think it would be a great project while James is away. I’m obsessed with Tiny Living so I think I’ll use that concept to an extent.

Donate.  Save.  Sell.

I want to use this with my health too. Cut back on the crap. Eat clean, exercise for stress relief. I know I will feel better all around. I feel like 2015 is going to be a good year for me if I TAKE Action… not just TALK about it.

What are you favorite organization tricks? Comment and let me know! I love sharing new ideas.

My sister is a professional organizer. Gasp… I know. She lives in a different state though, so I can’t ask for help as a Christmas gift. BUMMER! I messaged her and said “HELP!!! I need to get rid of this mess!” She said:

1)      Someday has passed… so get rid of all the crap you say “Someday I’m going to fix this… or Someday I’m going to have a garage sale.”

2)      If it’s not worth more than $50… don’t try to sell it.

3)      Call and schedule a pick up from the Salvation Army (Or wherever!) to come pick up your donations. It will give you a deadline.

4)      Start and complete ONE ROOM AT A TIME!

That’s where I’m going to leave this….. I’m headed off to Pinterest to find some easy ideas and then my kids and I will be making a game out of this. Not sure if that is proactive, or procrastination at its finest. We shall see. I'm hoping for a post a week of ideas!

1 comment:

GailHartley said...

I'm with you Mallory and I love those tips from your sister! But I have to admit, last month I stood at my trash can with an insta-matic Polaroid in my hands saying "throw?....keep?...throw?...." Well, throw won out and a week later my 86 year old mom says "for Christmas I want a Polaroid insta-matic camera." (which by the way aren't readily available) Regret attempted to overtake my thoughts and even today I think...what if.... So as I look around I think...will someone need this next week. ha ha Your new friend...Gail