Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Homeschooling... Is it for the birds?

This has been a back and forth debate with myself for the past year and a half.

I want Logan to go to public school in order to do the fun projects, meet people, class parties, and most importantly to get a great education.

However, I feel like everything in my body is yelling "NOOOOO Homeschool that boy!!"

So here I am. Homeschooling. Some days I feel like I am failing. Some days I feel like I'm a rock star.

The amazing thing about homeschooling is WE (Our whole family) get to choose what we teach Logan. (Kora and Sadie will follow suit.) We get to talk about Jesus! We get to learn in our PJs. I get to teach him how to open doors for ladies. We cook, we play, we yell, we dance, we sing... We live!

Logan is obsessed with Mario Brothers. I mean super crazy obsessed. So.... I looked up Mario Bros Homeschooling on Pinterest... and guess what?!?! They have TONS of worksheets. Why can't learning be about what THEY enjoy in life?

Now... I want to put a disclaimer out there before I go any further. Just because you send your child to public school doesn't mean they don't have fun or learn about stuff they want to. I think public school is great for lots of kids. I went to public school. I have lots of friends who are teachers. I MAY become a teacher someday!

I do feel like so much is being taken away from our kiddos though. Their sense of safety. Most people will agree with me. You can't turn on the news without seeing a school shooting, bullying, teacher crime, or something else horrible. I'm tired of it. If I am staying home with my other kids, I might as well teach Logan his first few years of elementary.

The thing I love is we don't have to box him into the "Kindergarten" level. He sets his own limits. (As long as he keeps excelling we will keep challenging him.) If he can do 1st grade and 2nd grade work, then he will.

Did I mention I LOVE being with my kids?? I know they drive me crazy, but I take much satisfaction from teaching him myself. Watching his love of learning right before my eyes. Teaching him how to be responsible for himself and his dog. How to treat women (starting with him momma and sisters).
All about community service, and giving to those in need. I'll do better posting pictures for the ones who want to see our adventures.

I also want to give a shout out to Easy Peasy Homeschooling!! She has an amazing site and her ENTIRE curriculum is FREE!

The homeschool community is growing FAST and it is bigger than ever! They have so many co-ops you can join in order for your child (you too!) to have social interaction. They even offer P.E. at the YMCA for homeschoolers!!! Art class too!

Anyways... I wanted to post this video. It's amazing. It is worth the 11 minutes. Trust me.
Hackschooling



Blogs coming this week:
-Kora's Frozen Birthday Party
-An amazing guest blog on fitness by my dear friend Sharyn
-Another post about my 30th birthday (Which is Thursday!!!)
-Blog review on Vega Sport Hydrator
-Blog review on a new fitness app TFG

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mallory, you are an inspiration. I home schooled Maddilyn for kindergarten and loved it but it was hard for me. I felt like she didn't want to learn from Mom. I always think about going back to homeschooling because I too loved the feeling I got when I taught her. It was quite rewarding. I commend you so much! Maddilyn seems happy at her public school though even though I really didn't want to send her. I worry every day... all day long! I may revisit the idea with her again. For now I will teach my younger two and teach Maddilyn when she gets home!!! They are little sponges of love!!! Love you girl!!! Love your blog too :) #1 fan ♡♡♡